Monday, September 17, 2012

Easy Mario Batali Steak Marinade!

First, it has been awhile since I posted...my apologies...sickness has descended into this house...my nose can stop running any time now...

While I wait for that, I have a few recipes to post...this one was inspired by a recipe I watched on "The Chew" (by the way, I LOVE that show! I pick up so many great tips!)

Last week, Mario Batali was cooking with Katie Couric and they were very excited about the peach cucumber salad, but I zeroed in on the very easy marinade. Especially since I had a steak in the refrigerator that needed some sort of "dressing"....it ended up being super easy and VERY tasty! I love the sugar base, but with a red pepper zip! Delicious!

His recipe used dry porcini mushrooms...I don't eat fungus, so feel free to add them if you enjoy the fungus! And, of course I adapted it a bit as well...so it is my own take on his recipe


"My Take" on the Dry-Rubbed Skirt Steak Recipe

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons Sugar
  • 5 Garlic cloves (minced) (feel free to add more!)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
  • 1 1/2-pound Round Steak
  • Montreal Steak Seasoning (just a bit)...I love this seasoning on steaks!
  • Sea salt

  • **The steaks MUST marinade at least 12 hours or overnight!**

    Steps

    1. Mince the garlic. If you love garlic, feel free to use more. I wish I had!
    2. Stir together the sugar, red pepper flakes, salt, and Montreal Steak seasoning.
    3. Rub the dry ingredients into the steak. Followed by the garlic. Make sure you REALLY rub this seasoning into all of the parts of the steak. (I missed a few places and I swear I could tell when I tasted it)
    4. Put the steak into a Ziploc bag and pour the EVOO over the steak. Toss the bag around a bit to ensure the whole steak is covered.
    5. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours. My steak marinaded for a few days.

    To cook, you can either cook it on the stove top or on the grill. We cooked ours on the grill and we enjoy medium rare. So, cook the meat to your taste.

    We paired the steak with a baked potato and some fresh spinach. (We also enjoyed a Sam Adams Seasonal...Oktoberfest to wash it down)

    **If you want to reference his recipe complete with the peach cucumber salad recipe, go here:
    Mario Batali Recipe

    1 comment:

    1. Sounds yummy!! Cant wait to try it!! Thanks for sharing :-)

      ReplyDelete