Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Super Spicy Chipotle Pasta

I may have made this dish a bit too spicy...in fact, it was hard for me to get through the dish I dished for myself...of course, Ryan was quite satisfied with this spicy dish...in fact he has leftovers to enjoy for the rest of the week!

I found this recipe on Pinterest, but I did make some changes to meet the needs of my refrigerator...

For the original recipe that inspired this recipe:  Chipotle Chicken Pasta

SUPER Spicy Chipotle Pasta 

Ingredients

*fresh/thawed chicken breasts (I used 2)
*1/4 c lime juice
*6 cloves garlic, minced, divided
*1/2 c cilantro, chopped (I used more than this)
*generous shakes of chili powder
*sea salt
*EVOO
*bowtie (farfalle) pasta
*1 large red bell pepper
*1/2 red onion, diced
***I wish I would have added another veggie...asparagus, fresh spinach, something green
*3 chipotle peppers and 2 T. of adobo sauce (this is where the heat came from, reduce significantly if you don't want a lot of heat)
*half and half (about 1/2 cup)
*chicken broth low sodium (1/2 can)
*mozzarella cheese

The Step by Step

Marinade step...wish I would have read this prior!!!
Cut chicken into smaller pieces (stab them too!) then, marinade in the lime juice, half the cilantro, chili powder, salt (I also added some pepper), half of the garlic, stir and let it marinade for at least 30 minutes to an hour.

In a large pan, drizzle your EVOO and heat the pan. Once the pan is heated, add your peppers, garlic, onion (and other veggies if you added that). Turn the heat back so the garlic doesn't burn. Cook over med/low heat until the onion and pepper are soft.

Heat the pasta water. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. REMEMBER, before you drain, KEEP 1/2 c. OF THE PASTA WATER AND SET ASIDE!

Add the chicken broth to the veggies and add the chicken (including the marinade). Shake more chili powder (I think I also would have added a bit of oregano too)
Add the chopped pepper and the adobo sauce. Allow to simmer and soak into your chicken (talk about spicy heat!)

Once the chicken is cooked all the way thru (I slice into the chicken to check)...and your pasta is drained (except for the 1/2 c. of pasta water)

Put the pasta back into your large pot, dump the contents of the pan over the pasta and dump the pasta water into the pan as well....

Stir together and top with mozzarella cheese. (I wish I would have waited to put the cheese on last, instead of in the pan over the chicken...)

If you were brave enough to make this, how did it go? Was it hot enough? Hopefully, you were able to enjoy your dish! I can't say I did, I just shoveled it in with a side of a giant glass of milk :)

No comments:

Post a Comment